I will be forever grateful to the author. Ralph kindly made so much of his work available to me.
Ralph wrote the excellent bookpublished by Collins, ISBN 0002164647. The book describes in great detail the complete story of events as told to him by survivors. It's a great read.
Ralph passed away peacefully at the age of 93 on 16th May 2011, RIP.
I am also indebted to Phil Cunningham who very kindly gave me permission to play the lovely air written by Phil himself.
My sincere thanks to Merchant Navy veteranwho has helped me enormously. George was the Second Radio Officer of the ss AUDITOR torpedoed on 4th July 1941 by U-123 (Hardegen). He and his colleagues survived 13 days in an open boat. His manuscript has been included in the book by Graeme Cubbin. ISBN: 1901703487. Published by John and Marion Clarkson. It tells the story of their 13 day ordeal after the sinking. I can recommend it as a good read.
December 2008, I was saddened to hear of the passing of my friend George Monk at the age of 91 - a true gentleman. Fair winds and calm seas now, George. RIP.
I would also like to thank the following people for their help with aspects of the site:
for permission to copy the last stanza of his poem "Broken Chain".
with more information on the Lascar crewmen.
OF CAIRO on my page.who allowed me to put a picture of the ss CITY
for giving me permission to show the Gladys Usher account and her photograph.
for the Ellerman Lines account and ship and interior photos.
Visit their site here: Glasgow Archives
OF CAIRO. Rhiw.comfor photos of mv LYCAON and ss CITY
whose help has been invaluable.
- researcher for the Merchant Navy Association.
- Trinity Research Services, Scottish Maritime History Research, Edinburgh.
- nephew of Crawford and Margaret Gordon for press cuttings and other information.
- niece of Margaret Gordon for many photos and other information.
- grandson of Second Officer Leslie Boundy for the photo of Mr Boundy receiving his MBE and Betty Birchman's letter.
- granddaughter of Second Officer Leslie Boundy for information regarding No.7 boat and photos at St Helena.
- sons of Chief Engineer Robert Faulds for their father's story.
for the memorial photos from St Helena.
for her account of the sinking and additional photos.
for the photo of Quartermaster Robert Ironside.
for permission to show a photo of HMT QUEEN MARY.
for a photo of HMT QUEEN MARY.
for a photo of Capt. Thomas Dunlop McCall.
for the account of A. Donald Miller and Dr. Marjorie Miller and for photos of them both. Additionally, for the letter by Herr Merten to the Sunday Times.
for the account of Joan Redl and for the details of the 1984 reunion.
- granddaughter of Robert (Tiny) Watts for two photos of her grandfather.
- for the photo of Brazilian minelayer CARAVELAS.
- for the photo of R.N. gunner Kenneth MacLennan.
Visit site - For the photo of tss NESTOR (Allen Collection)-
- for the photo of ss STRAAT SOENDA.
- daughter of John Nuttall for the photo of her father.
- for a photo of the USS GUADALCANAL plaque made after the sinking of U-68.
- for a photo of Assistant Engineer David Dick.
- for a photo of her grandfather D.E.M.S. Gunner Hugh M. Porterfield.
- for the Tradgedy of the ss CITY OF CAIRO during World War I - the transportation of Canadian troops.
- for the Diary of Ada Walker 1915 - 1916.
- for a letter to the McNeill family about the loss of Daniel McNeill.
- for a photo of her grandfather Daniel McNeill.
- for a photo of her uncle William C. Solomon.
- for a photo of her grandfather Francis B. McQuone.
- for his own account and that of his sister Mary, for a letter addressed to his father from the second radio officer of ss BENDORAN and two photos of the 1984 re-union on board HMS BELFAST in 1984.
- daughter of Dr. Douglas Quantrill for various images, accounts and photos from her father.
- additional help on the Ellerman Line War Losses pages.
- photos of graves and other sites in St Helena.
and for additional photos of the Simms family.
for the account of Bill Stubbs - No.5 lifeboat.
for photos and additional material from Dulcie Kup.
for photos of wreck location on dive by Deep Ocean Search.
for permission to add Evelyn Ashdown's Shipwreck 1943.
for permission to add Margaret Gordon's Letter.
for a photo of John Tagg.
for a photo of his uncle John Tagg.
for a photo of his uncle The Reverend Lauchlan McLean.
- daughter of third engineer Horace Dyke Broomby for a photo of her father.
- photos of himself and mother Avis and father W. Ferdinand Dieckhaus.
- photo of Francis Alleyne Marr, DSO. MC.
- photo of his father Robert Keith.
- photo of Harry Peever in the Royal Flying Corps and detail of same.
- photo of Charles William Banbury.
- S.W.W.E.C. (The Second World War Experience Centre). Information and photo of Diana and John Jarman.
for their patience. To my brother, and co-owner of this site, for his help and guidance with web hosting. To my nephew for his help with server side and scripting.